Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sessions - what do I need to consider

Status
Not open for further replies.

mych

Programmer
May 20, 2004
GB
I am creating a Web/Sql app using asp pages.

The app will be used shift workers. I cannot use a call to find who is logged onto the workstation as in this environment the wokstations are logged on as a generic user and not restarted as a new user takes over.

I need to use sessions. Ideally what i need is for them to end at either 07:00 or 19:00 depending when the started (this may not necessarily be at the beginning of the shift)

Is there a way to check a session periodically (say every 10 mins. At this check we extend the session for an extra 10 mins (without asking the user to log in) unless the check is done just after 07:00 or 19:00.

The object is to make sure that after each shift the next user will be forced to log on.

Has anyone had experience of doing this.... what do I need to consider.

Thanks

1. Design your page so the username of the current user is so obvious and large that Tom can easily see it when looking over Susan's shoulder.

2. Just when you think you've programmed for every situation, Tom will get sick and go home early and John will start the second shift early to cover Tom's hours... and maybe their manager will cover the last 2 hours so John doesn't end up going over 45 hours for the week.

Sheco.....

You got it and as they are all security aware and would never dream of giving sombody a chance of making changes on an application they are logged into... they proptly forget to log off.

Here is an idea: Use a single source as the authority for the currrent time. It could be the SQL Server's GetDate() or the ASP server's Now() but it should be the same throughout your application just in case.

Whatever you do, don't take the browser's machine's word for the current time because users will screw that up, sometimes on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back