Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sessions, Cookies, and IFRAMES - I am losing data

Status
Not open for further replies.

XgrinderX

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
Hello helpful folks!

I am writing a rather large ASP web application for a client and am having a hard time with losing session and cookie info. All the pages are on the same domain and are referenced with a relative URL so I am pretty sure it is not a domain issue. Here is a (hopefully) simple explanation of our design:

There are basically 3 layers, we will call them A, B and C. Layer A consists of a page with a single IFRAME. The IFRAME takes up most of the top of the screen with the bottom being left with static data. Layer B is the page lodaed into the IFRAME on page A. Layer B is a page that contains 2 other IFRAMES that show various info based on which page is loaded as B. So then layer C is simply the informational pages that get loaded into the IFRAMES on page B.

Does that makes sense? In other words, the C pages are "sub-frames" of the B page and the B page is a "sub-frame" of the A page. The A page never changes, it is simply a container for the rest of the site with some static info at the bottom. The B page is like a general topic overview page and the C pages just go into more detail about the general topic.

Here is what we are seeing:

When we login to the site, the first page we come to loads up the B and C pages. We are finding that we lose our session variables in the C pages. So we then implemented some cookies to check so that we can look at the cookie and use that info to reset the session vars. That seems to work because when we go to the next B page, we have our session variables now in all the pages, BUT the cookie data is now gone!

What the heck is going on here? I am totally at a loss as to what is happening. Hopefully someone out there can help me figure out what is causing this to happen.

-Greg

Maybe write out Session.SessionID on pages in each frame just to make sure you aren't getting sessions mixed up somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back