Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session.Timeout ???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppepin

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2001
US
I've seen a lot of posts talking about Session.Timeout, none of which can answer this question.

I have set in IIS 6.0 the Session.Timeout value to be 999.

In my global.asa file I read a value from a database and set Session.Timeout to this value (for this conversation lets say its 480).

On my ASP pages, I have displayed (response.write Session.Timeout) and this has always clearly displayed 480 (what I've set it to in the global.asa file).

If I open the ASP page and leave it up and don't do a thing with it, I should still have session state 15 minutes later right?

Wrong!

My session state goes dead somewhere around 12 minutes or so.

Any ideas?

I've been beating this one up for the last week or so and I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks.

Did you try fiddling with the session timeout setting in the IIS Admin tool?

I am hoping that you mean is the Timeout value set for the default web site in IIS by using the IIS MMC plugin?

If so, the answer is yes (see statement #2 in my first post).

I'm testing some stuff now that I think may be causing the problem. It looks as though it might be the "Shutdown worker processes after being idle for (time in minutes)" option of the default application pool in IIS 6.0. This was originally set for 20 minutes (which it really wasn't 20 minutes). So I created a new application pool and set my default web site to use this default application pool and set this option to 200 minutes.

I haven't timed out yet!

ppepin:

Had this exact problem... and the "worker process idle time" change worked for me too.

Thanks very much for following through and posting your solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back