Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session.Timeout premature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisbrown

Technical User
Dec 31, 2001
In an ASP app, I've set the session.timeout to something ridiculous like 800. Set it in global.asa. I checked the IIS setup and it's set to 60 minutes there.

Sessions time out in less than 20 minutes regardless. The app depends on a lot of session values and if I walk away from the computer for a couple minutes, I have to restart from the beginning.

Any ideas?

Travis, just a shot in the dark here but have you checked the date/time on the web server compared to that of the client machine? This can have an adverse affect on the session.timeout

Nick

Sadly, this is all happening on the same machine.

Ok, few questions then...

What browser are you using?
Does your site contain framesets?
How are you accessing the site, is it through localhost/mysite/default.asp?

What security level is your browser set to?
Can you physically see the session cookie?

IE6
No frames
Access through Default security - accepts cookies

It does create and carry the Sessions. They just aren't lasting as long as Session Timeout is set for in IIS or in the application.

It's not storing cookies as files; they are in memory. They should last in memory for the specified time, shouldn't they?

Sorry yeh, last question wasn't meant! Does your machine name have anything other than alphanumeric characters? I vaguely remember a problem with this... let me see if I can find it!

I meant, "Nope, that's not the issue; yeah, it's alphanumeric.

Travis, I really have no idea. You've already done everything I would suggest. Sorry, hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

See if this thread will help:

thread333-1366597

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
- Winston Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back