Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

session state lost - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axsom1

Technical User
Feb 27, 2001
US
Hi all, does anyone have any idea why in my application the session state is being lost.

Currently my application is in a frameset, with all the action taking place in the main frame. My page is just a simply add user page that when it is submitted it is submitted to itself and runs some code that sets the session variables and displays the session information. Once I hit submit from there and send the information to another page that runs some sql scripts to insert the data, my session information is lost. Whats funny is this works when I point to the IP address in the URL rather than the NetBIOS name.

i.e. works but does not.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Am I missing something?

Our server currently is NT4 SP6 and the machine I am testing this on is Win2k SP4 with IE6.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Are you in an Domain? if so maybe you should check what is the name-ip mapings of the Domain controler, also try to disable enable Bypass proxy server for local addresses in the browser.

Also using the IP instead of the names will bypass the DNS name-ip mappings, usually this is the main cause.

Thanks for the response Joulius.

We are in a domain, and LHD_WEB is a BDC. Currently has no problems with name-IP mappings.

The proxy bypass won't help me much since we dont use a proxy server.

I did find the answer in Microsoft KB 323752. Originally I only could seem to find things pertaining to IE5.0, that's why I wrote in here.

Acording to MS, IE6.0 will interpret the content in another frame as third party. I just needed to modify the headers a bit and now all is working good.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

John Axsom

I've same problem whithout frame in my site.
Session variables seems empty yet...

Problem depends on IIS HostHeaderName that contains underscore "_" character and IE 6 SP 1 doesn't like this syntax.

I've removed this from the name of the site and everything works fine.

Silke Persson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back