Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session Manager Primary & Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

demanding

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2008
US
We have the following design (right now not getting any answers from our vendor):

CM6.0 core/CM6.0 ESS/LSPs at 6.2
MM5.2 Primary/Secondary
Session Mngr Primary/Secondary 6.something

Session Mngr is used only for SIP trunks to MM. So, if the primary Session Manager is off-line for some reason, does the secondary Session Manager take over automatically or does it take manual intervention? Furthermore, if the primary Session Manager is off-line and the Primary MAS servers are on-line, can the secondary communicate with the primary at all or is it strictly for the secondary MAS servers?

The secondary SM is a second SM, not necessarily a backup/standby SM. If you would like to use the secondary SM for redundancy then routing needs to be setup in CM and MM to go to the second SM in the event that the first SM is unavailable. The SM's are both controlled by the same System Manager, so all the routing logic programmed in System Manager will be replicated to both SM's. Therefore, if the routing logic in System Manager is set to try the Primary MAS first then this applies to both SM's.

So assuming CM has the secondary SM as an option in the route pattern, when the primary SM is offline, CM will automatically send the call to the secondary SM which will in turn route it to the Primary MAS.

Thanks very much.

One other question about Session Managers. In our design, I see where our LSP locations have Session Manager IP Addresses - is there actually a Session Manager in those locations or is that for communication to the core Session Manager?

R6.2 introduced Local Hostname Resolution where you can enter multiple IP addresses for the same entity/hostname and set priorities and weights to select what IP address to route to.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back