Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session Manager 6.3 - No license file needed if only using for SIP trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1121

MIS
Dec 12, 2002
US
I've installed a separate instance of our Session Manager and System Manager setup but this time on VMware. I don't yet have a license file for this, but I was wondering...is it even needed if we're ONLY using Session Manager to do SIP trunking between various entities? We don't use Session Manager to register phones or users to it. We only use System Manager/Session Manager as a go-between for Avaya CM 5.2.1 and other servers like Cisco CUCM and some other servers.

I've had it online for a few days now and I don't see any errors or other things that would lead me to believe there's a problem without having the license file installed. SMGR on VMware is replicating happily to the two session manager servers I installed on VMware, all SM tests pass in SMGR, Security Module for both SM servers in SMGR is up, expected/actual Entity Links match and calling back and forth through these two new session manager servers works just fine.

So can I just forget about the license file if I'm not going to be using SMGR/SM for user/phone registrations?

We have rights to it but I was just curious how much trouble I should go to to get our vendor to work out the license file for us. We have an old install of SMGR/SM 6.0 on S8800 servers and the SMGR has been flaky for a long time and I've had to reinstall it once before. So, I wanted to give 6.3 a try on VMware since it would be easy to undo if it didn't work out. Now that I know it works well and SMGR is so much better on 6.3 and no System Platform needed since it's on VMware, I was thinking to make it permanent (until we don't need it anymore). We're slowing transitioning to Cisco.

Play by the book and tell your BP. If you have support for it, it's a $0 line item to add the "vmware" entitlement. Its more for records keeping than anything else. And if you're still paying for HW support on the S8800s, you might be able to get that off your plate.

You should speak to your rep/BP/Avaya if you plan on using it in production

I think they already did get the license for us but I need to talk to them to find out the details (our original license for SM 6.0 was for almost 3,000 users). We don’t have the S8800 covered with Avaya anymore. We use our vendor (Avaya BP) for support for now. The Avaya stuff is dwindling and our vendor can help with anything we need until we stop using it.

Thanks for the info and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back