Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session Expired. Force User to Log On. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creeder

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
MY
Hi all,

I manage to create the routine to force the user to log on once the session has timeout. However the problem comes about when the user click the Back/Forward button on the browser, and is still able to access the page.

Any ideas regarding this?

Thanks.

You could create a session variable called Session("loggedin") which is set to False in both your Session_OnStart and Session_OnEnd in your global.asa
When the user logs in, set this value to True.

Then on each page, you can avoid page caching by entering <% Response.Expires=-1 %>, and then run a check (if statement) on the page to make sure that your Session(&quot;loggedin&quot;) is set to True, if it is continue loading the page, otherwise, ouput a nice message with a link that lets the person know that they are logged out, possibly due to a timeout.

I haven't tested this, but I think it's worth a shot :)

Let me know if you have any questions....

Include something similiar to this on every page:

<%

If Session(&quot;Logged&quot;) <> &quot;Y&quot; Then
' add some code here to redirect somewhere
' maybe to a login page
Else
Response.Write(&quot;<script language=javascript>&quot; & vbcrlf)
Response.Write(&quot; window.history.forward()&quot; & vbcrlf)
Response.Write(&quot;</script>&quot;)
End If

The &quot;window.history.forward()&quot; sets the history to the most current. In a way it disables the user from going back using the back button.

- Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back