Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServRaid: Extend free or logical with Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techguru69

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
I have a 345 server with a ServRaid set on Raid 5 with 5 discs and 1 hot spare, running RedHat 7.3. I need to add space to the final partition (/sda10) to increase the available drive space for files on that partition. Since it is the last partition defined, I should be able to do this by removing the hot spare and adding it to the array, and then run the parted util to extend the ext3 filesystem on that partition.
My question is, when adding the old hot spare to the array, it asks me if I want to add it to available free space or add it to the current logical drives. Not sure which option to pick to make this successful.

Any help? I can supply more info if needed.
Thanks

Free space would make the drive a "single" drive and not part of the existing array, basically a raid0 drive. Adding it to the existing logical drives will do just that, add it to the existing logical drives and it would be a part of that raid array.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back