Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabit

Technical User
Nov 22, 2005
US
Hi all,

I am running windows2k3 server. Do I need to have administrator start services(exchange services, sql services etc.) or can I have other accounts start services? if so how can I accomplish that? I want to elimate administrator for security purposes?

Most appreciative

You can have different accounts start services, but those accounts will need the proper permissions depending on the service.

Right click on the service in question, click Properties and click the Logon tab. Configure the service to log on with the account you wish.

Not sure what you mean by eliminate the administrator. You can't just delete the administrator account if that is what you are trying to do.

No, I dont want to get rid of the account I just want to stop using the account because alot of people in my company use the admin acocunt to logon to these sql servers and exchnage servers. Are there special rights that I need to know about that sql servers/exchange use.

Exchange has several services that run on startup. I thought by default they started under the local system account. Are you running them under a user account?

I want to run them froma active directory user account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back