Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Services.exe not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2002
US
I have a XP home machine that will put but takes about an hour to startup, then once it foes there are only a few icons on the creen, no access to task manager, start menu or anything else. I get a message saying that services.exe failed to load, which explains a lot. Problem is I do not know how to repair it. I was hoping I could run a sp2 repair from the recovery console, but no luck. All I have is my stuipid xp install disk from dell with pre sp2. I have burned the sp2 install files to cd and was trying to run them from the recovery console but can not get access to the cd. I can list the CD contents, but can not get anything to run

Is there any clue in the event viewer, for example an event ID that you could post. You may have to start in safe mode to have a look at these.

If you can't get access to the eventvwr, then I would seriously consider going back to a very early restore point, and if this fails cut your losses and do a clean re-install of the OS - it's probably quicker in the long run.

MD

Nothing starts up, no taskbar, no start menu, no task manager. How could I access a recovery access point or the event log? I have tried in regualr and safe mode and have had no access to anything thing. I was hoping to use the recovery console to fix the service.exe. Think about all the services that start when you pc starts, now take away all those services and thats what I have.

Sorry for my ignorance as I have not had to do (yet) any repairs to XPs.

The icon thing sounds like a registry problem. Is it possible to run a registry fix from the recovery console with "ScanReg /restore"?

--MiggyD

--> It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's an OS update patch! Ahh!! <--

Maybe you will have to save what data you can and use your Recovery CD to start again from scratch. If your lucky maybe it will offer you the option of a non-destructive repair, but most seem to want to revert to factory condition.

Other things to consider.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

If you can, run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy, but it seems that you wont be able to do anything from within Windows.

A few more ideas are to be seen in this thread.

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

Reboot
f8
f8 again
Last known good configuration

If that fails then it's rebuild time

MD

Adware and Spyware are getting tough these days to remove them. And they are more invasive. The last computer I saw with the issues you are having took 2 full days to remove.
It’s not for the novice to fix those issues.
Steps: (going from memory so I may miss something)

In the recovery console run CHKDSK /R

ONLY GO IN SAFE MODE
1. boot till you see the logon on screen
2. logon as ADMINISTRATOR
3. your taskbar may be hidden in this profile too
4. right-click on the desktop and go to properties then desktop then (on bottom) customize desktop
5. check my computer
6. apply
7. go to my computer and open
8. in tools-folder options-view check show control panel in my computer
9. go to control panel
10. enable quick launch in the taskbar and start menu options (for some reason this enables view of the start bar)

if you get that far you are doing pretty good.
Unfortunately the Services.exe runs a lot of stuff. It is known as the “Windows Service Controller” and the virus “W32.Randex.R” is associated with it.
Your best and maybe only option is to put the drive as a slave in another computer and do a thorough virus scan on the drive (I prefer AVAST) . But, any decent virus scanner will do in your case.

The AURORA spyware has been known to cause major issues. You need to check for it too

Let me know how far you get and I will try to help more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back