Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

services.exe crashes, possibly caused by local polciy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
I have an XP Pro SP1 laptop which used to be part of a domain but was then removed (don't ask me why, I honestly don't know why it was ever joined to our domain in the first place as it's not normal practice !!). Anyway, the person who has the laptop now says that it keeps crashing - the most common occurrence seems to be that services.exe stops unexpectedly and then of course it reboots. I suspect this only started happening AFTER it was removed from the domain. I think this might have something to do with group policy, I can't remember exactly what's in the event logs but I think the ID is 1001 or 1002 - when I follow the link in event viewer all the "solutions" seem to point to group policy - although none of them are the same as the problem I'm having.

I've checked that all the services run as valid accounts and they do. I've also run gpresult and it doesn't seem to be looking for any domain policies, just the local polciy which is pretty much empty. Also, before I realised that this might be to do with group policy, I ran sfc /scannow but this didn't fix the problem. It usually occurs after the laptop has been on for about 2 hours, which would be about the time the policy would get refreshed (althought I don't know why it doesn't crash when it applies the policy at startup). However, I can "force" it to crash by doing gpupdate /force - however I haven't tried using the target switch yet.

I've also imported the security setup.inf security settings in the hope that this might "reset" the policy, but I guess this doens't start the polciy from scratch does it, it just overwrites the polciies specified in the file and leaves the others alone? Anybody got any ideas what might be going on?

Please ... anybody got any ideas?

Just incase anybody ever comes across this problem again - I decided to run sysprep and re-enter the license key etc and this seemed to solve the problem. I think this also resets some group policy security settings, is that correct? Presumably this is why it solved my problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back