Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Services appear down in the CMC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernstmik

Programmer
Nov 5, 2003
US
I am currently running a clustered environment with 3 servers, two of which are running an APS, which we'll call APS01 and APS02. The APS database shared by the clustered environment is on an Oracle 9i server. APS01 and APS02 are rebooted weekly during an early Sunday morning maintenance window with the APS01 reboot process starting at 1:10 am and the APS02 reboot process starting at 1:15 am. I am the architect and administrator of the environment and we have a psuedo-administrator layer that does the creation of users, groups, folders, and publication of reports.. This pseudo-administrator layer can also view the server status through the CMC but has zero access to the servers themselves.

Now that you know the basics of our environment and how we operate, here is the issue I am facing. Sometimes in the Manage Servers module of the CMC, services appear down when in reality they are not. How do I know they are not down? Well, for starters, the application suffers zero performance issues or error messages due to the alleged failed service and functions as normal. Secondly, when I attempt to restart the service from within the CMC, I get a message stating that the service is already in the state requested. The third reason I know they are up is that when I look at the Windows-based CCM, Windows Service Manger, and Task Manager, all services are up and running normally. The Business Objects support tech said not to rely on the status in the CMC and only rely on what the server displays and I accept that. However, for the benefit of my psuedo-administrators, why does this situation occur where the CMC shows the service status as down when in reality they are not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back