Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Unavailable Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanT07

Programmer
May 11, 2005
GB
Hi - I hope somebody can help with this.

We have a web server with Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6 installed. We are running one ASP based website on this server, which is quite busy. The problem is we keep getting the error message: "Service Unavailable" on a plain white background. When looking on the server it appears the Application Pool has shut down because of an "unknown error" (which is very helpful!).

The problem used to be much worse but we seemed to have solved it a certain amount by setting the worker processes to recycle more often and limiting MSSQL memory. The problem still seems to happen every couple of days though.

The worst thing about it is you have to manually reboot the server or restart the application pool before the site comes back online. Obviously this isnt very good because if one of the admins isnt online it could be offline for several hours. Ideally I would like this problem to go away, but failing this I would like to know if there was a way the application pool could be restarted automatically when this happens.

Its possible the problem is to do with all the memory on the server being used up but I cant see why this is happening as the SQL memory is limited.

Anyway, ive gone on for too long.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

I have experienced the same problem. In my case I changed the number of failures in rapid-fail protection to a higher number. It's located under properties of the specific application pool. It's not a perfect solution, but in worked in my situation. Also adjusting the time period to a lower number may help.

Hope that helps.

Ok thanks

I see what you mean about it not being a perfect solution but its worth a try right now.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back