Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service starting before Group Policies take affect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ver17

Technical User
Sep 24, 2004
US
The problem I have is... If I setup a service to launch Internet Explorer upon bootup it seems to load IE before the group policies take affect to restrict users access to IE's control panels. Basically when the first IE window opens a user can get access to all the IE control panels. If I close this window and re-open IE, access has then been removed. Anyone have any ideas on how to delay a service from starting? Or maybe have IE close and re-open somehow? Or for GP to load first?

More details on why I am doing it this way.... I am trying to setup Internet Kiosk PC's running Windows XP that will be in various buildings in our company. These PC's are setup to run various maintenance apps every night then reboot and upon boot up launch IE. We need these PC's as automated and locked down as much as posible because we don't want to have to constantely check on them when they are located all over the company. Because these PC's are NOT on a domain I am limited to the individual PC's group policies to control access (so I believe). I also can NOT use specific kiosk software and need to stay with IE (owners discretion). I am starting IE as a service and not simply putting a shortcut in a startup folder to keep people from removing or deleting it from that folder.... I still need to give people access to the start menus program files (again owners discretion). Not a true kiosk I know, but the best I can do with so many requirements from the top brass here.... Any other options or sugestions whould also be great!

Look into the Shared Computer Toolkit from MS. I think that you will find it does what you need.

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx[/url]

Good Luck!

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

We looked at that toolkit as an option in the beginning but for a reason I can't remember be decided it would not work for us in this case... plus the master copy is almost ready to go, I just need to fine tune this minor IE issue.

Thank you for your suggestion but I think I will keep looking for another solution. Maybe the solution is to simply not pre-load IE and have the user open it themselves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back