Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Packs and Hotfixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigCon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2001
AU
Hello Everyone...

I'm trying to find out a way that I can slipstream several hotfixes (in particular the one in response to MS03-026) into a Win2k SP3 or SP4 installation. Does anyone know if Qchain will work with the SP itself or is there another method?

Thanks.

Have not seen this been done together. Generally, one slipstreams the latest service pack (which contains all hotfixes beforehand) and then uses Qchain or something like Microsoft Software Update Services(SUS)to deploy any hotfixes etc that come after the Service Pack.
For more info on SUS, have a look at:

Claudius (What certifications??)

Newbie question: Not familiar with Qchain or SUS, just briefly read up on SUS.

Sounds like a great tool, but if its only going to be used for a small 24 computer network... is it worthwhile. They do not have a Windows web server (they do have a linux box running an intranet database, but not open to the outside world). Is it worthwhile to activate IIS and all the security headaches just to streamline hotfix installation?

Also, anyone have a brief description for "slipstreaming"?
Thanks, jute

With your Windows 2000 server CD, you probably have service pack 1 integrated with it. So when you install Windows 2000 server, it will say you have Windows 2000 Server, SP1 if you type winver from Run or in a command prompt. If you wish to update to the latest service pack, you need to install it separately.

The latest service pack has all the updates previous service packs had as well as any hotfixes since the previous Service pack.

Say you have copied the contents of the 1386 folder from your Windows 2000 CD onto a machine. Now you can actually copy the contents of the i386 folder from the latest service pack straight over the contents of your CD i386 folder. In essence, you are replacing older files with the latest files including extra bits and pieces which come with the latest Service pack.

Now if you Burn a copy of the i386 folder onto CD and install Windows 2000, your final installation will be Windows 2000 with the latest service pack.

have a look at for some nice info on this method

Claudius (What certifications??)

Thanks for the responses so far. Initial installation of the Server OS is no problems. We have that under control using the [SetupHotfixesToRun] section of the unattend.txt in our server build process. It's more to do with the servers out there that will need SP4 in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back