Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevG

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
Hi I was hit by the dreaded W32 Worm virus a while back, I managed to zap it, and as a precaution I decide to install service pack 4 on to my machine and my sons machine, since then when I boot up the machines they both take a while to boot and seem to hang for approx. 1-2 minutes saying applying computer settings, once the machines have booted all seems OK, anyone had a similar experience? any suggetions as to fix appreciated.

Cheers

I had the same problem. Go back out to the Windows Update site and apply all critical updates and any recommended updates that deal with security or network issues.

After doing this and rebooting, you should notice an immediate improvement. It's still hangs for a few seconds, but not as long as it used to for me.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

OK cheers I'll try that and let you know how I get on, but by applying Service Pack 4 I thought that had all the latest updates?

Thanks for the reply.

KevG.

Hi I have downloaded the updates and patches from Microsoft Updates machine ( Not every one though yet not enough time last night) machine still hangs at Applying Computer Settings, when my daughter booted up machine tonight and went to get on to the Net and try and access Goggle she got a pop up dos page C:\browserCleaner\update\> there is a link on the page to Goggle which works, but behind this there are a number of adverts, do you know how I can remove these? I have looked in the regedit to try and see any reference to these web pages but no joy.

Advice appreciated.

KevG

KevG,
As bcastner suggests, definitely download programs like the one he posted in addition to Ad-Aware and Spybot. Each program will search your entire registry, hard drive, and running processes for any intruding programs that it identifies as spyware. Running all 3 will ensure that you catch everything that is currently known.

Back to your original problem, it may also be machine specific as some piece of hardware or driver might be causing the delay. Just to be sure, I'm posting the list of fixes that I ran which resolved the problem for me (I'm not sure which one actually did it, or if it was some kind of combination):

1) Recommended Update for Windows 2000 (822831) Web site
2) 818043: Recommended Update for Windows 2000 Web site
3) Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (823718) Web site
4) Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB824146) Web site
5) Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB824105) Web site
6) August 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (822925)

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I had the same problem on my PC after installing SP4 is just ground to a halt after lots of messing around i decided it hadn't been rebuilt for a couple of years so i backed up formatted and started again.
After fresh install of Win2k i added SP4 and it runs like a dream so much faster after the rebuild i can highly recommend this if you have a backup and the time.

!!A good cup of Tetley keeps the madness at bay!!

To cure the problem, I think I read somewhere (bitdefender.com) that you should install the last SP pack BEFORE the virus can be removed. Then do SP4. hope that helps

Hi, I did face the same problem as what you mentioned. After I logged in as another NEW user, must not administrator or the first created user, the "hang" problem solved. It return to normal. Have a try!

Thanks.

Regards,
HOPPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back