Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack 4 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenKass

Technical User
Sep 11, 2000
US
We have 2 exchange servers in a site both on NT4 SP6 and Exchange 5.5 SP3. No real problems that I know of in their daily operation. We also use Network Associates GroupShield and Netshield on both machines.

Should I apply Exchange SP4. What has your experience been with this service pack. What got fixed and what got broken?

Thanks,
Allen

I recently applied SP4 to fix a corruption (back in the first week of June). No problems noted so far.. long may it continue!

David

I applied SP4 but now get an expired passwords error when going into IIS.

If there are no problems, why apply the SP?? I would leave it as is...

Why wouldn't someone just go ahead and apply it?

AllenKass, we have an identical (software) setup as you, except that we're running SP4 and have had no problems at all.... If you check on they have a list of fixes for bugs that existed after SP4, and patches are available (I just did a search on 'exchange sp4 fixes' and got a whole list)..

These pages list the bugs that SP4 fixed:

There are two ways to go here:-

1- If there aren't any problems showing up in your event logs, wait until something goes wrong and then apply the latest SP and fixes, or

2- be proactive and take the risk of applying the SP's as they are released, to try and prevent things going wrong in the first place...

People could argue the merits of both for eternity (and probably will).... I guess it's up to you to decide. :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back