Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service pack 3 loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjv

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2001
US
I am about to load service pack 3 for groupwise and was wondering if there is anything that I should look out for when applying the service pack.or is it pretty much straight forward and also do the groupwise clients also get updated as well.

Sorry I am fairly new to this.

Thanks...

HI,

It's basically a straight forward. The only thing that I would make sure of is that no client or notify is in session. You basically don't want anyone connected to the Software Distribution Directory. I usually rename it, do my updates and then rename it back.

As far as the users, they will get prompted with update messages unless you edit the SOFTWARE.INF file in \SOFTWARE\CLIENT directory.

You would "REM out" the line with the buildnumber--this will force the client to ignore the algorithm and disable all GroupWise client prompts to update their software after updating the software distribution directory.

Lou

FYI - If you start experiencing problems with the GWIA, such as it causing critical errors or abends on the server. There is a FTF4 out there that should help. We currently run SP3 on all agents & clients except for the GWIA & MTA. For the latter we got it to settle down with a 6.0.4 Beta version. It works for us since we will be upgrading to 6.5 over Christmas. And we thought we would address this problem there if it still persists. As Lou said, applying the SP to GW is pretty straight forward. We just downloaded a guideline we got from Novell's site and followed that. We had no problems whatsoever. I've included a link that explains the possible problem, and fix, w/the GWIA abending server after applying SP3.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back