Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack 2 woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoujin

Technical User
Sep 18, 2006
US
Hello.

With Microsoft no longer supporting service pack 1, I bit the bullet [For the third time...], and installed service pack 2.
I tried to ignore the painful slowdown of everything I ran, as well as that irritating auto-update junk... But I couldn't deal with my browsers crashing every five minutes.

I uninstalled it... And then Windows could no longer boot up.
Unfortunately, I don't have the error code/message on me now, but it was basically now missing a file. When I looked up the error, it's a fairly common problem after INSTALLING service pack 2, not getting rid of it.

Using the recovery console, I was able to get the machine up and running again, but now it's horrificially slow. As in, maybe five minutes to boot up slow, and everything is very slow to respond.

Any advice... Please...
Am I left to reinstall Windows from scratch?

Have you got a System Restore Point pre SP2?

Installing, uninstalling ServicePacks would mess up your drive somewhat and it might benefit from a Disk Cleanup and Defrag.

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

For other SP2 help try this site.

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

I've already taken the steps bcastner advised, and I have already tried disk cleanup, as well as degragging.
Sadly, I didn't have a restore point old enough to be of any use. :\

I'll check through those links though. Thanks.

Do a repair reinstallation of XP.

XP SP2 should not be installed if there are any issues with the computer. It is most decidedly not a means to repair a workstation with hardware or malware issues.

You have to get SP2 on this computer as SP1 will no longer receive any hotfix support in less than a month. This includes security updates.

After the repair reinstallation, download and run Ewido. Then see the antivirus suggestions in faq608-4650.

Sounds like this mnachine may have other problems.
Certainly just installing SP2 should have had that much affect.
It may be time to rebuild that thing with a clean install, with SP2. and then work from there.

How about posting some system specs? How old is your system? How old is the actuall installation of XP and how big is your system partition?

SP2 is pretty big...

"He who laughs last probably made a backup. He who laughs loudest probably hasn't checked his backups in a while."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back