Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack 2 Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteiner87

Programmer
Oct 9, 2003
US
I reinstalled Windows XP Pro onto my Dell 700m and then went on to update to SP2. However it will not install. It hangs on "Inspecting your current configuration" and under details it says "Checking product key". I have installed SP2 on many computers and have never had this problem. I have tried to install SP2 from C:, CD, network drive, and tried the Windows update version and all of them have had this problem

Have you tried Dell Support in case there are known problems?

Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885894)

In your Windows folders will be the Service Pack logs which may contain information that might be helpful.
Locate the Windows XP SP2 Setup log files. The Setup program logs information about the Windows XP SP2 installation to the following log files: • Setupapi.log • Svcpack.log.

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

Have you made sure your machine is free of malware? Also disable any running security software, including Bios scanning anti virus programs, just while you attempt to install SP2.

This was a fresh install of Windows. I found the answer after searching thru Microsoft's message boards. I can't find the link that I used but it had to do with changing a file in the WINDOWS/inf folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back