Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack 2 Install Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdietz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2003
US
I am having a rather peculiar problem installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a laptop currently running XP Professional SP1. When I attempt to launch the installer, a message pops up stating "Setup Error - The system cannot find the file specified." When I click OK, it says "Setup Error - Installation did not complete". I have tried installing off of the copy on our network server, a copy that was sent to us on CD from Microsoft, and by downloading a copy on to the machine and running it, all yield the same result. Any ideas on this one? Thanks for your help!

For information about the temporary installation block or to see if the block applies to your system, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Note This Web site also provides information about how to remove the block if you installed it manually.

In your Windows folders will be the Service Pack logs which may contain information that might be helpful.
Locate the Windows XP SP2 Setup log files. The Setup program logs information about the Windows XP SP2 installation to the following log files: • Setupapi.log • Svcpack.log.

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

SP2 install issue
thread779-905887

You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back