Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service or Console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlyaRabyy

Programmer
Nov 9, 2010
US
Colleagues,
The Q. may seem academical, but in my case it's quite practical. Here's the background:

1. We have a number of programs (all in VB .NET) built as Console, but actually run 24/7 like services by Win Task Scheduler.
2. These programs have been used for years already (well, with some minor adjustments and enhancements along the way), so this approach works.
3. I have the "User Story" (I find this term ... ah-hemm! Not quite smart, to put it mildly!) assigned to me by the "brass": create a program that will work as a Service.

I am familiar with the console-type apps (made half a dozen of them myself in the past), but Service type is kinda new to yours truly.

I've just read what MS online Help has to say about Service type of projects... not exactly comprehensive (typical for M$).

Hence the Q in subject: is there indeed a fundamental difference between the Console and Service types?
(And, on the personal level, is it worth (giving the time constrains with this bloody Scrum/Agile/Wachemicallit management methodology) to embark into the unknown waters of Service programming, or remain in the charted waters and make a Console program that can be run as service from the Win Task Scheduler?)

Please advise!

Regards,

Ilya

The best would be to make own proof of concept - a small application as Console and the same as Service. Then you will see what's better for you.

I would prefer console app, IMHO it's simpler to develop, test, debug, deploy ...

Read other people's opinion too:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back