Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service dependancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

inexperienced1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2002
US
I have a service current without dependancies, but I need to add two dependancies

Can anyone please provide the necessary commands?

Thanks

This assumes the other services are already installed: Open Registry editor via start -> run -> regedit, and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
Find the corresponding key for the service you want to add dependencies to, it is usually named after the service, but may be abbreviated, so you may have to search for it. When you find the key, click on it in the left hand pane and in the right hand pane you will see its strings and other values, right click on the key and select new -> Multi-string, name it "DependOnService" edit the multi-string, entering each service (using the service key name, not how its listed in services)you want your service to be dependant upon. To see an example, pick a service with existing dependencies, i.e. the Messenger Service and view its DependOnService values in registry editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back