Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service account password going haywire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleigher

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2003
ZA
Hi all,

I've been having the same problem now for a while, thought I got it fixed and now it's back....I'm stumped!

This has happened on more than one application so I don't think it's application specific, but in this particular case it happens to be Biztalk messaging service. The other one that did this was a SQL service account.

What happens is, you set it up the account as a service account, log in check everything, all is fine. Three weeks later someone calls to say nothings working and when I check the service and all it's dependencies are stopped!

When I try restart them they complain about dependency service fails to start until I get down to that one service and it doesn't start due to a logon failure. Which in itself is immediately suspicious because all the other associated services use the exact same account.

So assuming someone's pratting around I go in to the service, re-enter the right password and immediately it starts up no problem. I set up auditing on the box and watch it. A week later, the same thing, and NO-ONE has changed the password or edited the service.

This goes on for about a month before I lose my mind completely, KILL the account with extreme prejudice and create a completely new account with a new password. I did this with the SQL service account on another machine that was doing the same thing....I of course get the application guys in to update their software and after a week of implementing the new account we're up and running.

Now, four weeks later, it's just happened again (On the biztalk account, not the SQL one)!
I'd appreciate some help before they pack me off to the funny farm with my own special jacket!

JS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back