Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Account getting locked out

Status
Not open for further replies.

phbrady

Programmer
Oct 17, 2003
US
I have a vb.net app that runs as a service. It picks up files from other PCs on the network and moves them to the server on which the service resides. Each day, after the service has been running with no errors for approx. 24 hours, the account which we just created exclusively for that service gets locked out. No users are using the account, just this service. I've also tried a couple of different accounts with the same results so it's not specific to one account.
The server is running Windows Sever 2003.

Anyone seen similar behavior??

Thanks.

Is your 2003 server set to automatically lock out accounts after a set number of failed logins?

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day! Ye has a choice: talk like a pira

Do you have an IT department that might be running a nightly process for locking "abandoned" accounts?

Chip H.

What about data transfer limits? Perhaps the server limits data xfer per account on a daily basis?

Also, see if the network account you are using has a limited time frame for valid logins. Network admins can set accounts to not be able to login during non-working hours for added security. If that happened on a service account, it would lock itself.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

- There is no login attempt failure showing up in the event log.

- There are no restrictions on the account, such as data transfer, limited time for valid logins, etc.

- The process for abandoned accounts only runs once a week and only affects accounts which have had no activity.

My app's error log is recording the following error after approx 24 hours:

9:29:09 AM The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to.

The error occurs when I am doing a DirectoryInfo GetFiles on the directory located on a workstation. Sometimes I can just stop and restart the service and the error goes away, and sometimes I have to have the account unlocked.

Track down your network support guys and beat the answer out of them ;)

Or, try setting the process up to run under your account for a night and see if it works. Note that your account may be locked out in the morning when you get into work ;)

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back