Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Servers that support Macromedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocoutts

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
GB
Please help.
I work as a designer, so please excuse my ignorance on technical issues. Today my company have told me that the server in which our websites are hosted are to be replaced with a Lotus Notes Server. (I believe the one we have at the moment is a Virtual server?)
As a result of this, I am told (but find this hard to believe) that this server will not support files created in Dreamweaver and will certainly not withstand Flash. This seems crazy, why would anyone upgrade their server to one that can not support Flash.
I am sure this can not be true. Can anyone please verify this?
Also have been told I have to re-create our websites using a new software tool that WebsWorks have recently created? Anyone heard of this? Is it any good?
PLEASE any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Hi jocoutts!

First I wanna say that files created with DW doesn't require any special DreamWeaver extension to run on the server. However there is a number of file types that can be easily created with DW, such as .asp, .jsp, .php, etc., which require servers that support such files.

About Lotus Notes server. I have no practice experience with it but as I know (got colleges who work with it) they usually have its own file type which querys DataBase and dynamicly builds files to show on the Web. That doesn't mean that files created in DW won't work, but rather that you may need to change the logic - you only create templates which are filled with data automaticly by Lotus.

About Flash. Again, I know sites running on LNS with plenty amout of Flash files. I'm sure Flash will run. Good Luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back