Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Servers require changes for new ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandg

Technical User
Jun 7, 2002
US
I have an internally based IP-network (meaning, all servers have a static private IP address). Is there anything that I should be aware of on any these servers (DNS; Proxy; etc) as far as migrating over to a new ISP and thus, WAN IP-addressing scheme? This is for a small company of ~75 users.

Thanks.

I'll assume you use your internal DNS Server for all DNS resolving (which you should) in which case you will need to change the forwarders to those of your new ISP's.

Incidentally of course your MX record will need to change.

Scott.

Windows and NT Admin.

Thanks Scott. If this is the case then I think I'm all set. The DNS Server is in fact only internal and I've configured a major ISP as a backup forwarder. Also, I don't have a MX record configured- so I'm guessing it's not essential. I do know that the firewall has an entry mapping our Exchange servers public IP to the private IP....maybe this is doing the resolution instead?

In order to get email, you must have an MX record. What is your mail domain?

If you are still using privates ips, then there is not a lot to change. (What is WAN-IP addressing scheme?)

gene

Our domain is telns.com. Doing an nslookup on this shows an IP of 209.39.67.66 and doing an nslookup on shows an IP of 209.39.67.73.

However, when I "set type=mx" on this domain the request times out. And of course email works fine. Could our ISP be handling our MX record and resolutions?

Perhaps you are running split dns?

Here is what I get:

> set type=mx
> telns.com
Server: rwc-dns-2.openwave.com
Address: 10.16.4.50

Non-authoritative answer:
telns.com preference = 0, mail exchanger = mail.telns.com
telns.com preference = 10, mail exchanger = mailmx.isomedia.com

Authoritative answers can be found from:
telns.com nameserver = ns1.isomedia.com
telns.com nameserver = ns2.isomedia.com
mail.telns.com internet address = 209.39.67.66
ns1.isomedia.com internet address = 207.115.64.2
ns2.isomedia.com internet address = 207.115.64.3

this better make sense to you!

gene

Yeah, actually it does. isomedia does our hosting so the mx record must be in their ns server. Our firewall then must use a 'route' entry to point 209.39.67.66 to the staticly assigned private 10.1.x.x server address.

I wonder my request timed out??

Are you querying your internal server? Or maybe that net might have some special routing that screws up the dns
query?
gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back