Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Servers not showing in My Network Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronshover

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
US
When I go to windows explorer...my network places...Entire Network; some servers do not show up on the list. I can connect to the servers by manually typing the server name //servername/ but I cannot see them in the list to connect to them that way. I was hoping somebody knew what the problem was and/or knows how to fix the problem.
Thanks,
Aaron Shover

Netbios over TCP/IP is my guess. If you have it disabled on your workstation, you won't see much of anything in My Network Places. If it is disabled on that server, you won't see the server on the list.

To verify that it is enabled, open up the configuration for that network connection. Double click on TCP/IP, and select properties. Then click the Advanced button an go to the WINS tab and see how the Netbios over TCP/IP settings are configured. The three options enabled, disabled, or determined by DHCP server. Since you're looking at a server, the third option probably wouldn't be relevant.

I appreciate your help but...I tried what you said and out of the 5 remote servers I can see 3 (it's always been like that). I checked the settings of the 2 that I cannot see against the settings of the 3 that I can see and the settings are all the same. Any other suggetions?
Thanks,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back