Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Servers in same room??

Status
Not open for further replies.

goverd

ISP
Mar 1, 2006
CA
Hi

I just wanted your input on whether all servers should be together in the same server room or if they should be seperated in groups across many locations?? Could you guys give me some pros and cons for each.

Thanks in advance

goverd

Well at different locations you are going to be looking at a lose in proformance for the network depending on what kind of connection you have to each of your locations. And lack of support at the different locations if they are far a part. On the plus side with more then one location you have a more stable setup. Like if one location goes down some of your servers would be up and running. Just my 2 cents.

Eric
Whirlpool Corp.

If I had the opportunity to do so I would always look for a minimum of 2 sites, with sufficient hardware at each to use 1/2 each site for production, the other 1/2 for dev & test. In a DR scenario I would only have to recover 1/2 my kit, whilst getting the added benefit of dev & test kit that is on a par with the production environment

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

A good practice is one main server room, well cooled and secure, your backup units in a seperate building/room, and one 'quality' (=close to production) serverroom on another location for backout purposes. If one serverroom goes down for whatever reason, you can most likely always restore backups to your quality environment and set them up for production relatively easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back