Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Servers crashing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
I have got four servers in our Paris data centre which keep on dropping down to the <ok> prompt for no reason what so ever!

The only thing in common with them is that they are connected to some kind of terminal server, could this be somehow sending a break signal to these servers which is then causing them to drop to the <ok> prompt?

Anything in /var/adm/messages?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Nothing what so ever I'm afraid.

This is one of these really annoying issues, I might get them to disconnect the terminal server cable from one of the servers and see what happens.

I have heard about, though not experienced this issue. As far as I know some terminal servers can send a 'break' or a 'Stop-A' in certain circumstances. Have a look at man kbd. Also I have come across some 'low end' Sun Blades that can 'power themselves off'. See man powerd for more information.

I hope that helps.

Mike

The only issue here is that this started doing this yesterday and before that all had been fine for years. The servers in question are a mix of V890, E4500 and an E450. I'm going to suggest too them that they disconnect the cable from one of the V890's and see what happens. I have also been told that they have no keyboards connected.

Are they connected to a Cisco terminal server ? Some of them had an issue of sending a break when reset.

From what I have been told its some kinda of BlackBox device. I have now got someone to disconnect these four servers and I think this will resolve the issue until I can have a proper look!

this often happens on our servers when there is a disconnect at the console port. What we do is ensure that all the keys on the front of the servers are in the locked position. This should hopefully sort your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back