Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

servers can't connect to Access based Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenH

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
GB
To cut a very, very long story short, I created a new host based Access file Farm on one of my Terminal Servers after W2K SP3 trashed my SQL Server. I did recover the SQL server from a recent image, but one of my servers was unable to connect to the Farm. I think it's an OBDC problem, but I'm no expert.

The SQL server was originally intended for other purposes and only handles the Farm at the moment. As I only have 3 terminal servers, all W2K / SP2 / XPs, this seemed to be overkill.

When I originally set up the Farm, I tried the host based Access file method, but I couldn't get subsequent new servers to join the Farm. This is one of the reasons I put the Farm on the SQL Server.

The server hosting the new Farm is fine, I can add the licences, etc, but when I run a portscanner against it, it does not tell me that ports 2512 and 2513 are open.

The IMA and Metaframe COM server services are running, there's nothing obvious in event viewer and IMAPORT /QUERY tells me that IMA is on TCP/2512 and CMC is on TCP/2513.

This suggests that I won't be able to add the other servers to the Farm using CHFARM. I tried one anyway and it failed with various IMA errors in the event viewer, one of which says that the Data Store Proxy is not available.

Any ideas where to look for more clues?

OK, I've it. Next time, I'll read the docs properly or insist I go on a training course. Also there's some excellent stuff on as I'm sure many of you know.

Just in case any one else runs in to this, the solution was:

dsmaint failover <newserverhost>

Obvious when you known how

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back