Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServeRaid 4-Mx w/EXP300 Enclosure RAID 10 w/6-drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

plakatj

Technical User
Feb 22, 2007
CA
Experience a power outage/loss to the EXP300 enclosure with 6 drives (SCSI ID 0..5) which is connected to the ServeRaid 4-Mx
on the server running W2K

The Raid configuration is as follows:
All drives identical
6 Drives Raid 10 = 3 spanned mirrored pairs
1. span 1
2. mirror of 1
3. span 2
4. mirror of 3
5. span 3
6. mirror of 5

All drive are marked defunct with amber light indicator ON on all six drives

The only action it seems i can perform is to bring each individual drive online. If I choose to bring the drive online through the raid manager it says: "Attention: you might lose data by setting a defunct drive that is part of an array to online".

I am afraid to proceed without knowing more information.
any advice?

The raid drive does is not the primary OS drive, but did contain important data. No recent backups (it was used as a backup location).

That's what I hate about external raid arrays. If the server they are attached to comes back before the array is turned on the drives show up as defunct. If the raid config is still intact then I don't see any other choice but to set the drives to online status. It's been awhile I had to do this, so others may want to chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back