Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server2k3 as VPN server on LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egglar

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
GB
Hi, im trying to set up a VPN server, which will allow individual remote clients to connect to a small office LAN of 3 workstations and a server running window server 2k3.

I have only started using server2k3 2 days ago, but am learning fast. And this is the first time ive set up a VPN too.

The setup(excuse the quick paint diagram):

networkdiagram.JPG

At the moment ive set up Active Directorys and Routing and Remote access on the 2k3 server and allowed access from all persons.

Testing with a remote client, it connects fine, and stays connected to the VPN server, the server 2k3 shows up 1 remote access client connected.

Question is, how can i get the clients and the office lan to act like there on the same LAN etc? Ive readin the FAQ that a wins server at each end is the way to do it? If so how do i go about setting up and configuring a wins server (what actualy is a wins server?), or if there is another way?

Lastly, all ips on the networks are staticly assigned, thats internal and external, no dhcp server used on any internal network (although i think the VPN server uses DHCP to assign an ip to the remote client?)

Any help greatly appriceated.

Elliot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back