Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server.xml and Seperate Context.xml files problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughesai

Technical User
Aug 1, 2002
GB
Hi all.

I'm new to Tomcat. I have Tomcat V5.0 running on Win 2K Pro on 2 seperate PCs for development purposes.

Originally I put my JNDI, JDBC and security realm details for my application in /conf/server.xml as per the documentation. Subsecquently I found the Administration Tool, and made some changes there, and this created seperate .xml files for each context and placed them in /conf/catalina/localhost/... I have not fond any documentation about this - is there any references to this?

Anyway all this works well enough. However, on one PC, I can make changes in Eclipse (v3) and deploy them - Tomcat picks them up, removes the app, and reinstalls by processing the context.xml file for the app. I have to log into my app again as the security is working.

However, on my other PC, the redeployment does not work so well. The applcation is removed by Tomcat and reinstalled, but as far as I can see, the context.xml file is not processed. My app fails, usually on a database read (I think the JNDI settings have not been recognised). I have to restart Tomcat and the app works perfectly again.

There is obviously a difference between my two configurations of Tomcat - can anyone tell me what it is?

Also, when I make changes in the Admin tool, they are written to the context.xml files, but they disappear from the admin tool the next time I go in there. Does the Admin tool not read the .xml files?

Is ther a switch somewhere that tells Tomcat to use server.xml or seperate context .xml files?

Confused.

hughesai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back