Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server won't espond to remote requests unless local workstation on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidgrey

Technical User
Jul 10, 2000
CA
www.liquidgrey.com
This might not be the right place to ask this but I'm getting desperate.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a system that I use at home as a server, and it has a singe local workstation that runs off it occassionally.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have recently discovered (though it may have always been this way)that my server will not respond to any remote requests (ie. telnet, http, ping) unless the workstation is also on.&nbsp;&nbsp;Why does my server not work properly unless a local computer is on as well?<br>BTW, the system is running RedHat 6.2 on an i586. <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Just to clarify my situation:<br>The server has two ethernet cards, one which connects it to my cable modem, and the other which connects it to the local workstation.&nbsp;&nbsp;The workstation is ipmasq-ed and I believe that it is behind a firewall. This could just be a simple problem with my httpd conf, as I am relatively new to Unix-stlye computing and am apt to make even the most obvious errors.<br>Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Just off the top of my head I would something is blocking inetd. It would seem to be the only thing in common to all the services you mentioned.<br><br>If something is causing inetd to continually respawn when the workstation is off you might get this problem, similar to a denial of service attach. Check your local network traffic with the workstation off and on see if there are any clues. <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>
stations for the small office. Our systems feature the AMD<br>
line of processors. They are an excellent balance of price,<br>
performance and reliability.<br>

alrighty then.<br>Thanks everybody, the problem is solved.<br>It had to do with my ISP.<br>The server didn't have all the proper user information, but the workstation did, so service was only on when the workstation could submit the user information to the ISP.<br>well, thanks again.<br> <p>liquidgrey<br><a href=mailto:webmaster@liquidgrey.com>webmaster@liquidgrey.com</a><br><a href= Liquidgrey and the greycloak</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back