Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server very slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlozucca

Programmer
Jan 29, 2003
MX
we have a server dell celeron 1.2 ghz with 128 mb ram and 15 computer connect and is wery slow there is enough this server o we need another like pentium 4
thanks Carlo Zucca

It depends on what operating system you are running and what the server is actually doing.

If it's just basic file and print then you should really have at least 256MB RAM, the CPU isn't so important but a P4 would likely provide some improvement.

If the server is also a domain controller or hosting an appplication then it's seriously underpowered.

CPU, Memory, Hard disks and network interface are generally the bottleneck areas on servers but you need to give more information.

If you server is running Linux and as a file server 128MB should be fine for 15 users.

If it's a fileserver running Win2K server get some more memory. Running Win2K Server doing nothing on anything then 256MB will make it sloow

If the server is running things like exchange, SQL or SPS you get nowhere with 256MB.

After you get more memory look at your I/O system.
A good cntl. and a good SCSI drives.

Most people tend to save too much on the I/O system and memory but buy too fast processors

i always put at least 1 gig ram on every server. Win2k east ram like a hog, you can never have too much. remeber that the celeron proc only has 128k cache - this is a problem when doing database/mail/print serving functions. Should be ok if just file servering.

also set your virtual memeory to be the same on Min and Max. It will keep the memory manager from turning your drive into swiss cheese.

I recomend puting in at least 512MB ram and setting page file to 1gig. Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Roderick I think your point is not fair to Dell.

If someone buys a Celeron processor based server, don't expect that he/she would pay for a motherboard in the medium end of the server market. The motherboard would cost almost as much as Carlo payed for his complete server.

I have a bunch of Dell medium servers (6450's and 2650's) and the quality is good, including the motherboards.

The two HBA's I use in any of my production servers cost more then the server Carlo has, but our needs are a lot different then his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back