Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Upgrade Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubbish

Programmer
Dec 9, 2004
US
I am currently looking to upgrade my software company's server configuration, and I need advice on how I should pursue doing so on a limited budget.

Current Servers
1) Windows SBS 2003 Server
Roles:
- Active Directory Domain Controller
- DNS (internal/local routing only)
- DHCP
- File Server
- Routing and Remote (VPN)
- SQL Server for Business Management Software

2) Web Server
Roles:
- Web Site Hosting (Shared)
- Email Hosting (Shared)
- SQL Server for Web Sites (Shared)

We only pay $1800/year (combined) for our hosted services, which includes email, SQL and Web site hosting. The current host has been extremely reliable for the past 9 years, but we need more flexibility than they are willing to offer. We do not have a fast enough internet connection at our office to host our Web Server in-house.

I am considering two options for the new server configurations, and would like advice on how to pursue them:

1) Buy my own server hardware and co-locate. I would then configure Windows 2008 R2 Data Center or Enterprise Edition and virtualize one server instance for each role (AD, DC, Email, SQL, Web, etc.).

2) Invest in an elastic cloud server platform (Amazon EC2, etc.), and configure storage and computer instances as needed for each server and role.

With either option I'll need the following servers and roles:

Local Server 1) Secondary AD/DC, DHCP, File Server & SQL Server for Business Software (local server)
Remote Server 2) Primary AD/DC (co-locate/cloud)
Remote Server 3) Exchange (co-locate/cloud)
Remote Server 4) SQL Server for Web Services (co-locate/cloud)
Remote Server 5) IIS/Web Services (co-locate/cloud)

Any advice that you can offer for this type of configuration would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

please we are facing a problem with PoweEdge R910 server with 600GB SAS 10k hard disk Input/Output is slow we want to go to 600GB SAS 15k drive to increase the speed, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back