Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server+ Undeserved Reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.

machoo

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2002
US
Before taking this test, I was very scared about passing it. This was due to all the rants about this test being vauge and not written well. I have to say all those rants are completely false. Some questions did make me go "WUT THUH HECK?" but there hasn't been a test I've taken yet that didn't make me do that. (and I have taken a lot in my time) The one claim that is true is that it tests your experience level, instead of your ability to regurgitate facts. This is due to both the vast array of knowledge covered(as in EVERYTHING) and the way the questions are asked. The test has a lot of short scenario questions, not too hard but enough to make you think. Such as stating something is not being seen by the BIOS and then having one of the solutions be to check for updated drivers. A lot of people have memorized that if something dosen't work properly, update the drivers. It usually takes someone with a little experience to realize that what is seen by the BIOS is independent of the drivers. There are also key words that indicate the degree of solution, such as "best" or "cheapest" knowing weather a solution improves "reliability" or "recoverability" are other words seen. I think the two main drawbacks to this test is the 75% passing score required, and the fact that there are VERY few study materials available that work. There isn't anything available in the local bookstores, and for someone who is used to just spending $25 for an exam cram in preperation. most of the options seemed expensive to me. I could only find a used ExamCram on the internet and I was scared that the test might have been updated since it's publication. It turns out Server+ hasn't been updated since it's inception. I got a Boson practice test, and I reccomend everyone to STAY AWAY from that, it will definitely make your job harder, not easier. Finally, I got a Transcender Practice test download packaged with a test voucher from getCertify4Less.com. It ended up saving me money and the Practice tests were right on the money with regards the type of info covered and the look and feel of the test. To summerize, quit your whining; get some experience; read the test questions before awnsering.

one other thing. Cramsession.com has good free info. and know yor SCSI.

Congrats Machoo! I think everyone is conditioned that most CompTIA exams are entry-level, where the Server+ is targeted at the technician with 2 years SERVER experience. that's probably why the fail rate sits at around 50%.

The Cramsession study guide was the first for Server+ and I think it is still the best. Server+ Bible by Trevor Kay is also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back