Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server switchport

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvindai

Technical User
Jan 23, 2006
IN
I 'm unable to trace a server using mac-address as the server is behind firewall and the arp isn't listed on the switch for the server. Although I am able to ping the server from the switch. Is there any way out to trace the server on the switchport.

By MAC? SPAN the port and Wireshark it while you ping (you can filter all but ICMP).

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

you're going to need to get on that firewall. the destination mac address in the frame header will be that of the firewall as opposed to the server.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

I don't have access to firewall. Is there any easy way out here. Thanks.

Uncle---not for ARPs...

/

Building dependency tree

wha?? the layer 2 info is changed when it goes to a layer 3 device. when a device on one subnet needs to communicate with a device on a remote subnet, the client will arp for the default gateway (if not already cached), the gateway will receive the packets, change the layer 2 info, and send it to its destination.

now what?? i pitty da foo!!!

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

What was I thinking about...like something with proxy arp...duh...whoa is me...

/

Building dependency tree

If anybody help me understand that if a system is behind firewall; is the mac-address of the server not learnt on the switch. I am able to find other devices on the network which isn't behind the firewall but not the one that is.

You need to get on the firewall or the server.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Anything that is layer 3 between the server and the switch will make the layer 3 MAC show up. I'm an idiot in the previous post---ignore that.

/

Building dependency tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back