Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Static on Analog lines requires reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSChris

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2004
US
I have an Avaya IP Office IP401, with 3.0(40) code on it.

This particular unit will have a problem once every few weeks. What happens is that any calls to/from the unit over the analog lines have such bad/loud static that it is not possible to hear/talk on the call.

Calls made over SCN to any other location are fine.

Upon reboot of the unit, calls made on the analog line are returned to normal.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thank you.

Sorry..that's SEVERE, not SERVER static

Upgrade to the latest build 3.0(59)

Test

If still occurs

Default unit

Test

If still occurs

Replace 401

Good luck

I had the same problem with a 406v2 with calls coming in over a PRI. I think sometimes it even affected intercom calls but I can't remember.

I downgraded from 3.0 to 2.1 (can't remember the exact builds) and the problem went away. The customer understandably had no patience for troubleshooting it, but I'd love to know what the real problem was if you ever find out.

Downgrading isn't supported so if you ever take that route don't mention it if you have to call Avaya...

If it helps, the "static" I heard was identical to an overheating Merlin Messaging just before it shuts down. Overheating was definitely not the problem in my case.

Hmm, I think same problem is here.. have had our vendor come out and replace the jack.. but it has happened past 2 fridays on the Business owner's extension, don't have to reboot in my case though it seems, have just had to plug the phone directly into the port on the ip office, and then when it is reconnected at the jack it works fine, no static.. if anybody has any idea as to a cause, i would love to hear it, the vendor is a bit perplexed, and I'm tired of having to deal with the boss getting PO'ed when it happens, luckily I have been able to fix it quicker since the first time, but it does the static and no calls can get through to that extension...I am planning on upgrading to 3.0(59) soon(although nothing along the lines of the problem was listed in the docs for 3.0(59) as being fixed.. I thought it could be a wiring problem since this is an older building, the tech showed me the old jack and it was a biscuit jack(1 with the terminals and spade connectors) which i have heard are not advised for phone jacks anymore. we have only had IPoffice for a little over a month, I like it but I hope the users get accustomed to it and the idiosyncricies end soon...

Hey All,
I now have a good handfull (some 5 or more) of sites doing this on the 3.0(5901) build for PSTN setups, BRI setups and PRI setups and combinations there of. These are all largely on a 406v2 platform.. I previously saw this same issue once a very long time ago now, and through much assistance, the fault was found to be due to the frame (where the telco lines appear) and the units themselfes not being earthed out properly. However in what I am seeing with this build, this is not the case, I think this time there is a rather large and nasty bug in the firmware and my bet is it has something to do with the DTMF signalling or setup of the codecs, there is something really fishy here... I am in the process of pushing this for a resolution from vendor....... stay tuned :)

same problem here. Any ideas on fix for this yet. 3.0(59) static on analog lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back