Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahnert

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2009
Never encountered this problem before, maybe some of you have. In my office, suddenly all network related application activity has slowed down. Browsing internet, interacting with pdf via web browser, Outlook freezes up when accessing local mail server, and accessing network drives is also slow. This all happened all of a sudden. I double checked server activity and no memory leaks / high processor activity. If anyone could give some shout outs I would greatly appreciate it.

- Kevin Ahnert

We recently had a similar issue. Our was the corporate Virus scan having all machines check for updates every 10 minutes.

While this could be your issue it could also be any number of network applications doing a similar task too often. Since I do not know your enviroment I would take a look at any of these.

You can also download wireshark and analyze traffic on your LAN and specifically whichever server you might be having an issue with.

Thank you teqmod. Although I checked for that, the problem persists. It seems as if only 3 or 4 computers are experiencing this issue. It points me in the direction of a virus, but I'm not sure. All scans are clean. Last priority is reformat infected computers?

Have you run Combofix.exe on the machines, this picks up rootkits which AV or malware scanning softwares often miss.

Has anyone added any devices to their machines or directly to the network lately?

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Doesn't sound like hardware but an DNS issue. What is the server used for and is it doing DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back