Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbosko

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
We're investigating several POS systems, and each of them is telling us that they need to install particular hardware (server + network) to run their system. This is after finding out that we are currently only running a peer-to-peer workgroup network.

I'd like to get installed a particular server, and move to an AD environment. Would you have any suggestions on a minimum set of requirements to run any given point of sale system?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm not sure what AD means. But the server you put in will depend on the number of connections to it. As far as a minimum requirements go, I would hold off till you pick a software and go with their requirements, otherwise it will become a pass-the-blame when things don't work right and end up costing you more than you were trying to save.
Some POS systems are open and will run on top of windows and others are very proprietary. Sorry again if this isn't alot of help, but things are not clear at this point. If you are going to have less that 10 users (terminals) on the system Win2000pro may work, but if there are more, then you will have to step up to 2000 or 2003 server edition and purchase the correct number of lic. you will need.

Yeah, I pretty much figure the same - but wanted to pose the question from more of a hardware standpoint - hard disk space, memory requirements, RAID, etc. Which too will likely give the same response.

But for those who would like to offer, I'll leave the question open to suggestions.

AD = Active Directory (domain controller).

Thanks,

Mike

We are in the same boat. Most of the POS vendors are in the workgroup model. I am lookign for an AD solution for our client. We have two other apps that we need to integrate into a sql 2000 solution to reduce cost in this site.

What we do is drop sbs 2000 (or the new .net version) and look for apps that live in that environment. If you are going to be a MS site, stay away for properity db's, look for something that runs on sql2000 as a solution. Most of the POS vendors try to sell you the properitary db at a high price.

The POS vendors we found that support sql 2000 are small: MS retail mangement, Infinity out of australia, and value line (i think).

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back