Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server shutting down unexpectedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

350ztn

MIS
Nov 19, 2003
US
A windows 2000 server with all SP, Raid 1 on first 2 drives, and 3 drives on a raid 5. Event log shows unexpected shut down at aproximately the same time. All running events have been shut down that I know of, but since it is still around the same time frame each night, I'm wondering if there is a background event running...Is there a way to log all events in a certain time frame? One vendor is saying it is a HDD failing, but all diagnostics show everything is good. Another is saying it is the raid controller, not sure on that? We did find that in the Bios the USB IRQ was the same as a controller we are using for our tape backup, but in windows there were no IRQ conflicts. So USB has been disabled completely just to make sure there wasn't an IRQ conflict...so those are the steps taken, please throw out suggestions...

If it's an unexpected shutdown, it's more than likely hardware related as many software problems throw a blue screen / log. You could look at your memory dump file (if you have one) to determine what was loaded at that time.

I would look at your server utilities (Diagnostics), and do a full system sweep. S.M.A.R.T. hard drives should report a failing status if this indeed is the case. Prove that person wrong by rebuilding the raid set one drive at a time if you expect a hard drive problem, but cant find it in diagnostics.

How can I create a memory dump file, or is that just created if a blue screen appears? I've done the diagnostics and the drives are healthy, raid is good, no problems. Haven't rebuilt the raid yet. If I did a rebuild and a drive was bad would it show up then? What if the raid controller is faulty? Can you replace that without losing data from the drives?

Does it shutdown every night? We have a similar issue but it's much more intermittent (like once per month) as has been a nightmare to try and fix (still isn't). Getting Dell (in our case) to replace hardware when diagnostics doesn't show a problem and we can't reproduce it is difficult, they've changed the RAID controller and SCSI backplane so far without it helping, I guess next is the motherboard.

If it happens every night for you then I'd look at backups or overnight processes you are doing (we had a different server regularly crash overnight and found it was because we had a Diskeeper scan running at the same time as the overnight backup, that combined with McAfee AV running in on-access scan mode caused the server to have a hissy fit once in a while, since I re-scheduled Diskeeper out of the backup window we haven't had a problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back