Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server setup for SQL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

heminez

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
Greetings,
I have a DELL Poweredge 4600 server with one RAID 10 array and two RAID 1 arrays. I am setting this box up to run our school management software (Blackbaud) which consist of 3 different applications all using SQL 2000. My question is how to best setup the box for peak performance. Obviously the OS (WIndows server 2003) will go on one of the mirrored sets and I intend to use the RAID 10 set for the data store but where should I install SQL 2000 and the Blackbaud applications? Does SQL need to be on the OS partition or on the DATA partition or on the extra partition? Would it be advisiable to load the BB applications on the extra partition? Or, Is it irrelivant where any of it goes?
Your thoughts and comments will be appreciated.
Thanks

I assume you have a big database and the TPS (transactions per second) is high say more than 100, you need to think about the space usage carefully.

According to the article written by mrDenny in this forum, one of the RAID 1 should be used by OS, application and SQL Server program, the other RAID 1 is better used for
transaction log files because they are very write intensive. The RAID 10 should be used to hold the SQL Server data files, because they are very read intensive.

I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't think about the log file but that makes a lot of since. I'm looking for the article by mrDenny you refered to. I don't recall seeing that one the first time I read through the forum.
Thank you.

It's over in the FAQs faq962-5747.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Found it! Thanks
Very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back