Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Room Temperature Monitoring 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrie

MIS
Mar 6, 2009
US
Over the last year, we've been looking for some reasonably simple means to monitor temperature fluctuation in our server room(s). We have one primary server room and a couple of remote satellite server rooms we need to keep track of.

The preference was something that would be system-independent. Looking around, we found a nifty little unit from Avtech, called the TemPageR 3E... low-cost, had a web interface, SMTP capability, etc. Problem is, the units fail, and are wired. I won't get into that discussion here.

I see there are several other items out there -- and for want of not wasting more time, I wonder if any of you might be able to make recommendations of where to go next. I would really love to have something that is wireless -- it would be no problem putting a WAP in each server room to facilitate it -- or, we can use the campus wireless network that's already in place (less reliable, due to signal and structure).

Thanks in advance!

Interesting - we've had an Avtech RoomAlert 11E for over four years and never had a problem.

We use our system monitor and monitor the temperature reported by the servers to guesstimate the server room temperature. It is amazing how accurate it is sometimes.

Tony ... aka chgwhat

When in doubt,,, Power out...

We want to find something that is server/software independent. It seems the selections are limited. Tho, I found that APC bought out a company that makes sensors (I forget the name) that have cameras, mics, speaker, etc... overkill.

Sensors like Avtech are a good idea, they are basic electronics, nothing terribly complex. But support is another issue.

We use SensaTronics Model E4, been using them for a year or so with no issues. We tie them into our Intermapper software and email alerts on low, medium, and high temp thresholds. You can attach up to 4 temp probes on this model but we only attach 1. They are accurate with the wall thermostats.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Forrie, the name you are looking for is NetBotz . It's definitely the product we'd recommend. It's standalone, linux based, and has SNMP; so we actually query it and make our own realtime mrtg graphs.

--------------------
Pierre Martin / ITEA
Information Technology Experts Alliance
Cloud Computing for Small Businesses

Which model are you using? Most of their units have cameras, mics, a little overkill for what we want. If it's linux based, have you put any of your own customization into it?

Thanks.

We use the NetBotz 320E. It's affordable, and doesn't have all the expensive cameras, nics, etc.. and can still accept external probes such as flood, door sensors, etc..

--------------------
Pierre Martin / ITEA
Information Technology Experts Alliance
Cloud Computing for Small Businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back