Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Room Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a number of Dell PowerEdge SC1425 servers which i would like to run in our server room. However, the relative humidity in our server room fluctuates slowly from 25% down as low as 8%. It rarely goes above 25%.

Is this going to cause us any problems either with the the equipment or our safety?

fishsponge

If the humidity in your server room is that low, you should get a humidifier anyway. However, in direct response to your question, see:

According to the above, the SC1425 should not be operated in an environment where the relative humidity is below 20%, nor where it is above 80%. It's possible that this is simply the range that they tested in, but I would note that the PE850 is good down to 8% relative humidity, so they do test below 20%.

As for your safety, you should be fine as long as you don't mind constant high voltage discharges in the neighborhood of your fingertips (ouch!)

Static matts are important, you can also purchase anti static wax..replacing server boards just for blown USB or keyboard handler chips is no fun.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back