Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server roles and features

Status
Not open for further replies.

iolair

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
I have a small network of 75 users and I have three Windows Servers. One server is the DC/AD/file/DNS main server. The second server is also DNS, but it runs WINS/DHCP/AntiVirus/Backup/acts as secondary DC. The third server runs SQL server and print services. Should I add DHCP to one of the other servers for redundancy? Should I move services to better places? What design flaws do you see with this setup?

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

If they are both in the same AD site, then both DCs are writeable, and users are authenticating to either.

I'd try to determine if you truly need WINS.

Best practices usually says that having a DC that's a file server usually isn't recommended.

You can put DHCP on two servers. Google the DHCP 80/20 setup.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn. Come say hi, look for a job, have some fun.
Pat Richard MVP

Yes, both are in the same AD site.

WINS - not sure if we need it or not. I read somewhere that some applications might need it, but not sure which ones need it. Personally, I'd prefer to not have it.

Ah, didn't know about file servers and DC. Thanks. I think I can fix that without too much trouble.

The other DHCP option would be to have a router provide DHCP service. That could be done.

Thanks.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Is there a better way, other than two Windows Servers??

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

You don't get the DNS registration when you use a router to do DHCP.

What? I haven't done this, and I could see that the DHCP server can't directly register the leases with DNS if it's not a Windows DHCP server, but the clients should still be able to self-register with DNS using Dynamic Updates. Right?

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back