Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Replacement - Windows 2000-2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

elderk

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2010
US
I am looking at replacing a single domain controller that runs Windows 2000 with a new server with Windows 2008; however, there are only 3 users out of 20 who actually use server resources for an accounting software. What type of procedure should I follow to make this a successful switch. What steps should I follow in replacing this server? Can I use the same computer name and remap the drives on the users' computers to make this as painless as possible?.....Please help me with this transition; this is the first time I will replace a domain controller.
Thanks in advance for your help!!

From a practical standpoint, you really don't want to try keeping the same hostname for the server. With a domain functional level of 2k3 or higher, you CAN do this, but why go through the effort when all you have to do is touch 3 PCs?

Rack the new 2k8 server, promote it to a DC, move all the FSMO roles, then demote the win2k DC. Repoint your licensing etc on the three clients and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back