Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server rename affecting mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

niall5098

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2005
IE
Hi There,

I have mirroring setup from sql1 to sql2. The owners want to chnage the names of the server from sql1 and sql2 to sqla and sqlb, will this affect the mirroring setup?

Thanks,

Niall

I am not too sure, as I have never done this before. on the face of it, we can give the standard answer: It depends. How is the partner server defined in your mirroring setup?

Most likely, it is defined by server DNS name. If this is the case, you could put a host file entry on each machine, pointing to the old name. This will get very dicey, if you ever re-use the old server names.

If it is by IP address (not really a best practice), then there is likely no change necessary.

In the case, where you have a smaller database to test with (may as well set up a dummy database for this), see if you can issue an ALTER DATABASE statement to change the partner name. This will require a host file entry, so the system can resolve the new (fake) name.

Worst case, you will have to rebuild the mirrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back